Armenian Defense Ministry informs about Azerbaijani offensive in Karabakh

Azerbaijani armed forces launched a large-scale offensive in the south and northeast of Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenian Defense Ministry representative Artsun Hovhannisyan said on Monday, September 28.

“The enemy launched a large-scale offensive in the Araks River valley section (south of Karabakh) and Matagis-Talish section (north-east of Karabakh),” he wrote on Facebook.

Earlier on Friday, the Karabakh military reported the destruction of 10 Azerbaijani tanks.

In addition, Hovhannisyan claimed heavy losses in the Azerbaijani army. According to him, the city of Martakert and nearby villages were shelled by the Azerbaijani armed forces. There were no victims, the minister said.

On September 28, 26 civilians were reported injured in the shootings as a result of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict in Baku. The Prosecutor General’s Office of Azerbaijan noted that Armenia had chosen district and rural centers and civil infrastructure facilities as targets.

The day before Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said that the Azerbaijani armed forces had initiated an attack on Nagorno-Karabakh. In response, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said the Armenian Armed Forces shelled settlements on the line of contact in Karabakh. The agency also reported several civilian deaths.

In the morning of the same day, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry announced that it had launched a military operation on the entire contact line in the Karabakh conflict zone. According to the agency, a counteroffensive operation is being carried out in response to provocations from the Armenian side.

The parties to the conflict declared martial law and mobilization.