The Lithuanian Ministry of Defence does not see any external military threats to the sovereignty of the Republic due to the current situation in Belarus. This was announced to journalists on Monday, August 24, by the head of military department Raimundas Karoblies.
“The situation is not ordinary, but, according to our estimates, there are no serious threats to the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Lithuania,” Karoblies said.
He noted that the unconventional situation is connected with the statements of the President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko and military exercises near the border of Lithuania.
Lukashenko said August 22 that the instigators of unrest in the republic are near Warsaw and Vilnius.
At the same time, he said the army’s main forces were on full alert due to the activity of NATO troops near the Belarusian border.
A few days before that, the president of Belarus had already instructed him to tighten security along the entire perimeter of the state border. That way, he said, the fighters from other countries would not be missed, as would weapons, ammunition and money.