NYT wrote about brain damage in 130 diplomats and U.S. military

More than 130 U.S. diplomats and military personnel have been diagnosed with various kinds of brain damage, the New York Times wrote on Wednesday, May 12.

According to the newspaper, some members of the U.S. departments abroad have found themselves with obsessive thoughts or headaches, some even tend to suicidal moods.

Supposedly, their brain activity was fine before the diplomats were sent abroad, but something allegedly happened to them on their business trips that caused the damage.

The number of cases in the CIA, State Department, Pentagon and other agencies has caused widespread concern in the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden, notes the publication. The first confirmed cases were concentrated in China and Cuba and numbered about 60 people, not counting the affected CIA officers, as their numbers were not disclosed. Later cases from Europe and other parts of Asia were added.

On May 10, it was reported that the U.S. suspected the Russian GRU of attacking U.S. intelligence officers around the world with “directed energy” technology. China was also named among the suspects.

In late April, U.S. intelligence agencies began investigating alleged “energy ray” attacks on diplomats in Miami.

According to sources familiar with the investigation, the intelligence agencies link the incident to an allegedly similar case in Havana. At that time in 2016, members of the U.S. diplomatic mission working in Cuba and China developed hearing problems, complaining of tinnitus, headaches and nausea. Researchers at the American National Academy of Sciences concluded that the diplomats’ symptoms were a result of directional microwave radiation.

According to Politico, such a “weapon” could have been used on two other occasions – in the White House area, when a National Security Council official was walking to his car from the south lawn of the White House, and while another NSC official was walking his dog. Both complained of tinnitus and headaches. Last year, the Pentagon began investigating the incidents.