Pence backed Republicans planning to challenge Jan. 6 election results

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence approved the intention of Republicans in Congress to challenge the results of the presidential election on January 6 in a joint session of both chambers of the new convocation. In this case, the vice president as head of the Senate will preside over the confirmation vote of the electoral college, which declared Joe Biden the winner. This was reported by The Hill on Saturday, January 2, citing a statement from Pence’s chief of staff, Mark Short.

He said the nation’s second-in-command “shares the concerns of millions of Americans about election fraud and irregularities.”

“The vice president applauds the efforts of members of the House and Senate (of Congress) to invoke their legal authority to raise objections and provide evidence (of election violations. – Ed.) to Congress and American citizens on January 6,” the statement said.

Earlier on Saturday, 11 Republican senators announced their intention to oppose the approval of the results of the electoral vote by the U.S. Congress on January 6. Senators Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson, John Kennedy, Marsha Blackburn and others are among the signatories.

On December 31, it was reported that 140 Republicans in the House of Representatives and several in the Senate were ready to take such a step. Earlier it was reported that Republican Senator Josh Hawley also intends to oppose the results of the electoral vote at this meeting.

On December 28, current U.S. President Donald Trump once again called on Republican senators to fight to challenge the outcome of the presidential election.

If lawmakers in both chambers object to the results of the electoral vote, Congress will not be able to automatically approve the results, and both chambers will have to hold a debate of up to two hours to decide whether to support the objections of the parliamentarians.