Poland banned outsiders from entering the border zone with Belarus

Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Kaminski says a three-month ban on stays of unauthorized persons in the area bordering on Belarus will come into force from December 2.

“Three regulations concerning the protection of the eastern border will come into force tomorrow. The most important of them is the ban on staying in the area where the state of emergency has been in effect so far. We are imposing the rules for three months,” Polish Interior Minister Mariusz Kaminski said on Twitter.

The ban applies to 183 settlements on the border with Belarus within 3 km from it. The ban is valid from December 1, 2021 to March 1, 2022. It does not apply to local residents, employees of the administration, churches, hospitals and emergency services, duty officers and soldiers. Journalists may be allowed into the special zone at the discretion of the border officer.

The decision was based on new amendments to the law “On Protection of the State Border,” which were approved by the Polish parliament and president on November 30.

Earlier, Polish President Andrzej Duda had declared a state of emergency in the border zone with Belarus since September 2nd due to the increased inflow of illegal migrants.

The state of emergency zone included 183 settlements in Podlaski and Lubelskie voivodeships. The regime was introduced for 30 days, then was prolonged for another 60 days, reports pl.sputniknews.com. The last extension will end on December 2.

November 30, spokesman for the Polish Border Guard Anna Michalska said that Poland had no plans to resume the work of road border crossing in Kuzyz at the border with Belarus in the near future.

In early November, the situation with migrants on the border between Poland and Belarus escalated. A large group of refugees in Belarus came to the border in the forest belt. The migrants cut the barbed wire on the border between the two countries and asked to be let into the territory of the European Union. Poland said the brutal attack on the border was the first time in 30 years. European countries blame Minsk, which denies its involvement in the increased flow of refugees, for the migration crisis.

For now, migrants have left tent camps on the border and moved to a logistics center provided by the Belarusian side.