This week’s launch of a military satellite by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, previously listed by the United States as a terrorist organization, is evidence of what the Trump administration has been saying for a long time: Iran’s claim that its space program is peaceful and civilian is a fiction. This was stated by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday.
The launch of the Iranian satellite “makes it clear what we’ve been saying all along: Iran’s space program is neither peaceful nor fully civilian,” said in a statement by Pompeo.
Secretary of State recalled that in February 2020, Morteza Berari, head of Iran’s national space agency, said that Iran was in favor of “peaceful uses of outer space. He also said that “all our activities in space are transparent. Iran’s Information Minister said this week that “Iran’s space programme is peaceful”.
“The latest military launch, which was designed and conducted in secret, proves that those statements were lies,” Pompeo said.
The launch vehicle with which the Iranian satellite was launched is based on technologies identical and interchangeable with ballistic missiles, including intercontinental ballistic missiles, said the head of the State Department.
Pompeo called on “all peace-loving countries to abandon Iran’s development of technologies that can create ballistic missiles and to unite to limit Iran’s dangerous missile programs.
The Secretary of State called on all nations to support an extension of the UN conventional arms embargo against Iran, which expires in October this year. According to Pompeo, “the world’s leading sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism cannot be allowed to buy and sell conventional weapons”.
The United States also called on the European Union to punish individuals and entities involved in the development of Iran’s missile program.