The Taliban fighters have opened fire on the protesters at the rally in support of the national flag of Afghanistan in Nangarhar Province. This was reported on Wednesday, August 18, by a source familiar with the situation.
According to the source, there are victims and casualties as a result of the shooting.
Earlier today, the Taliban spokesman said that Afghan civilians have to surrender their weapons and ammunition to the movement members.
The day before, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the Taliban did not want to take revenge on anyone and had issued an act of pardon for all those who had opposed them. According to him, they intend to “take into account the mistakes” made by the country’s previous government.
On August 17, Ned Price, spokesman for the U.S. State Department, stressed that the U.S. is expecting the radical Taliban to put their claims about the respect of human rights in Afghanistan into practice.
The situation in the region began to deteriorate after the United States, which had been in the region since 2001, began withdrawing its troops at the beginning of May. It is scheduled to be completed by the end of August.