Iran does not seek escalation or war, but will defend itself against aggression, said Foreign Minister of Iran Javad Zarif on January 8.
The minister said Tehran had taken measures in response to “a cowardly attack on its citizens.”
“Iran has taken proportionate measures in self-defense and acted in accordance with Article 51 of the UN Charter, which launched a cowardly attack on our citizens and senior officials. We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” Zarif Twitter reported.
About 15 ballistic and cruise missiles were fired from Iran January 8 at Ein al-Assad Air Base in western Iraq and U.S. military base in Erbil. The Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC, an Iranian military-political formation) took responsibility for the strikes.
The attack was revenge for the death of General Kassem Suleimani, who was killed during a U.S. Air Force operation in Baghdad Jan. 3, the state Iranian television channel Press TV noted. Washington believed Suleimani was involved in the December 31 attack on the U.S. embassy in Baghdad.
The Pentagon said it continues to assess the damage so far. No data on American casualties have been reported.
Thus the IRGC has warned allies of the USA about possible blow on their territory in case of attack on Iran.