The only Victory Parade to honor the 75th anniversary was held in Belarus

Belarus was the only country in the post-Soviet area where a large-scale military parade in honor of the 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War was held. More than 3,000 servicemen and over 150 pieces of equipment were in the parade line. Over 40 planes and helicopters flew over Minsk, BelTA informs.

Veterans also came to the parade. Only some of those present were wearing masks. President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko was dressed in military uniform on the occasion of the holiday. In his speech, he said that the country could not refuse to hold the parade despite the coronavirus.

“In this crazy world, which has lost its landmarks, there will be people who condemn us for the place and time of this sacred action. I want to tell them in a human way: do not hurry to draw conclusions, let alone to condemn us, heirs of the Victory, Belarusians… We just could not do it any other way, we had no other choice. And if we had, we would have done the same,” said Lukashenko.

“The tragedy of the Belarusian people, who carried on their shoulders the titanic weight of losses and destruction of the most brutal war of the XX century, is incommensurate with any difficulties of the present day. Even the idea to change the traditions that have been glorifying the history of the great feat of the winners for 75 years is unacceptable for us,” stressed the Belarusian leader.

He noted that he was held in honor of all the Soviet soldiers and allies who liberated the world from Nazism. “We bow before the feat of Russians and Belarusians, Ukrainians and Jews, Tatars and Kazakhs, Tajiks and Uzbeks, Kyrgyz and Turkmens, Georgians, Armenians, Azerbaijanis and Moldovans, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians – all the inhabitants of the Soviet Union, the fighters of the European Resistance Movement, our allies – the USA, England and China. Their courage, bravery and readiness to die for the Motherland became a terrible weapon of retaliation for Hitler’s executioners and their satellites,” Lukashenko said.

Previously, the WHO was particularly concerned about the participation of elderly people at risk for coronavirus in the parade in Minsk. Lukashenko did not impose any restrictions on attending the parade, saying only that the veterans were asked “not to insist” to be taken to the celebration, as usual.

According to the Belarusian Ministry of Health, May 9, 22052 cases of COVID-19 were registered in the country, with an increase of 951 people per day. 126 patients with confirmed COVID-19 died (five deaths in the last 24 hours).

There is no quarantine in the country.