The U.S. has been unable to make contact with North Korea for almost a month

U.S. authorities continue to work to prevent tensions with the DPRK over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program from escalating. Washington has been trying to contact Pyongyang “through various channels” for almost a month, but so far there has been no response. This was reported by Reuters on Saturday, March 13, citing a source in the presidential administration.

“To reduce the risk of escalation, we have contacted the DPRK authorities through several channels since mid-February, including in New York. So far, we have received no response from Pyongyang,” the source said.

A senior US administration official said there had been no “active dialogue” with North Korea for over a year, “despite several attempts at cooperation by the US. Washington hopes to complete said policy review on North Korea in “the coming weeks.”

On January 28, it became known that the U.S. State Department intends to give a grant of up to $4 million for a program to counter the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and the development of North Korea’s missile program.

On January 9, Kim Jong-un said at the congress of the Workers’ Party of Korea that the country will continue to improve its nuclear weapons for the sake of forced deterrence of hostile forces. In addition, he announced the completion of development of a new nuclear submarine, “which is an example of modernization.”

In turn, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on January 22 that Washington would continue to work on deterring the DPRK. She noted that the U.S. is consulting with South Korea, Japan and allied states on ways to put pressure on North Korea.