U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III military transport aircraft evacuated about 640 Afghans from Kabul airport. This was reported by Defense One on Monday, August 17.
According to the publication, it was not originally planned to take so many people on board. However, the Afghans admitted to the evacuation, broke through to the airfield and managed to climb into the plane on their own.
After that, the crew decided to fly with everyone who was already on board. Footage published on the Web shows people crouching on the plane’s floor. The plane took the Afghans to Qatar.
“About 640 Afghan civilians disembarked from the plane as it arrived at its destination,” said a U.S. Defense Department spokesman.
The day before, Pentagon officials said there had been several clashes with gunfire at Kabul airport, for which the Taliban were not responsible. One American soldier was slightly wounded during the incidents, but has already returned to active duty.
The press-secretary of the Defense Department of the USA, John Kirby, also emphasized that what had happened in the airport of Kabul “was not a failure”. At the same time, U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price noted that the chaos at Kabul airport was “resonating in the souls of all members of the department.