The United States has rejected Haiti’s request for troops to provide security after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise. This was reported by Reuters on Saturday, July 10.
“The United States on Friday rejected Haiti’s request for troops to help secure key infrastructure after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise by suspected foreign mercenaries, even though it had promised to help with the investigation,” the agency said in a story.
According to Haiti’s Minister of Voting and Inter-Party Relations Matias Pierre, the request for U.S. security assistance was made on Wednesday, July 7, in a conversation between Acting Prime Minister Claude Joseph and U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken.
Matthias Pierre later said in an interview with CNN that Haiti’s request for U.S. troops was for a limited number of about 500 troops.
On July 10, it was reported that the Haitian government has asked the United Nations (UN) to send troops to stabilize the country. The Haitian authorities are asking the UN to “support the efforts of the police to restore security and public order throughout the territory” of the republic.
Prior to that, the Senate of Haiti proclaimed on Friday, July 9, its speaker Joseph Lambert as interim president of the republic. Meanwhile, the UN special envoy to Haiti, Paul Farmer, had earlier said that acting Prime Minister Claude Joseph would remain the country’s leader until elections, which are scheduled for Sept. 26.
Haitian President Jovenel Moise, who has led the state since 2017, was fatally wounded in an attack on his residence on the night of July 7. Moise’s wife was seriously injured in the attack. She was hospitalized.