Donald Trump ordered to reduce the US military contingent in Germany by 9.5 thousand people by September. This was told by a source in the US government on Friday, June 5.
According to the Wall Street Journal, there are 34.5 thousand U.S. military men in Germany now. At the same time, the maximum allowable number of American soldiers in the country is now 52 thousand, while Trump ordered to reduce it to 25 thousand.
This issue has been discussed in the U.S. since the fall of 2019, and the decision is not due to the fact that German Chancellor Angela Merkel decided not to participate in a face-to-face G7 summit in June, reports TASS.
Earlier in June, U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grennell resigned. His activities during his tenure have been repeatedly criticized. Thus, in March 2019, deputy chairman of the German Bundestag, deputy head of the Free Democratic Party Wolfgang Kubiki called on the diplomat to declare persona non grata for statements that the German authorities distanced themselves from the NATO goal to finance the organization when planning the budget. It was about Trump’s demand, who insisted on increasing NATO’s budget up to 2% of GDP of member states. Earlier in the same month Trump said that Washington’s allies, on whose territory U.S. troops are stationed, may start paying five times more for this.