Two IS leaders killed in U.S. airstrikes in Afghanistan

Two IS ringleaders were killed and another wounded as a result of the US air strike in Afghanistan. It was announced by Major General William Taylor at the Pentagon briefing on Saturday, August 28.

“I can confirm as new information comes in that two high-level IS targets have been killed, one wounded. We are aware of no civilian casualties,” he said at the event, which was broadcast on the department’s official Twitter account.

At the same time, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby noted that the U.S. is constantly monitoring the security situation in Afghanistan. According to him, it remains dynamic. At the same time, Washington is still determined to finish the operation of withdrawal of troops by August 31. As of August 28, 5.4 thousand U.S. citizens have been evacuated from Kabul, a total of 117,000 people, most of them Afghans, the Pentagon added.

Earlier in the day it was reported that the USA had carried out a special operation in Afghanistan against a militant of the radical IS movement. Preliminarily, the terrorist was destroyed by a drone strike. As indicated in the U.S. defense ministry, he was involved in the attack on the airport in Kabul, which resulted in the death of 13 U.S. servicemen.

On August 26, there were several explosions in the Afghan capital. The first occurred at the entrance to the airport, the second near the Baron Hotel, in the immediate vicinity of the air harbor. The media reported that an IS suicide bomber was involved in the first explosion. The second explosion was caused by a car bombing. A third explosion followed in Kabul.

In addition, it was reported that two more explosions occurred in Kabul by evening. Later, the new authorities of the Afghan capital have declared, that they have been made by the USA Forces for destruction of the equipment.

The death toll from the bombings was close to 200 people. On August 27, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announced that two British citizens and the child of a British citizen were also among the dead. Two other British citizens were wounded.

The head of the U.S. Central Command, General Kenneth Mackenzie, said that IS was behind the bombings in Kabul. He said the bombings were “followed by several attacks by IS fighters who opened fire on civilians and military personnel.