The airstrikes on the objects in Syria were necessary to reduce the threat of further attacks. That’s what White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday, February 26, during a briefing.
She also added that the decision to carry out airstrikes was discussed and “was aimed at de-escalating tensions in the region,” Reuters reported.
According to Psaki, Washington is open to diplomatic contacts with Tehran, but does not intend to ease sanctions.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby, for his part, said that nine targets were destroyed in the airstrike and two were partially destroyed. According to him, the US Air Force used two F-15s, which dropped seven precision-guided missiles.
The actions of U.S. President John Biden’s administration were condemned by his running mate Ro Khanna.
“This makes President Biden the seventh consecutive U.S. president to order strikes in the Middle East. There is absolutely no justification for a president to authorize a military strike without congressional approval that is not self-defense against an imminent threat. We need to get out of the Middle East, not escalate the situation,” he stressed.
The Democrat noted that the U.S. has sought to end wars, not escalate conflicts in the Middle East.
“Our foreign policy should be based on diplomacy and the rule of law, not retaliatory airstrikes without congressional approval,” Hanna concluded.
On Feb. 25, Reuters reported that the U.S. conducted an airstrike on a facility in Syria that may belong to Iranian armed forces. The Pentagon later confirmed the strike.
The Washington Post reported that the attack killed several people. The head of the Pentagon, Lloyd Austin, is sure that the strike was carried out against the Shiite group, which had previously carried out attacks in Iraq, including against the US interests.