The first and the last joint parade of the USSR, Great Britain, USA and France took place in defeated Berlin on September 7, 1945. Unlike historical Victory Parade in Moscow that took place on June 24, 1945, there is much less information about parade in Berlin.
The idea to hold joint parade in Berlin with allies belonged to Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov. After Stalin approved the idea, the chiefs of British, American and French occupation armies were notified about the initiative and agreed to hold the event immediately.
At a meeting of the Allied Commandant’s Office, chaired by the U.S. commandant Major General Parks, they decided to hold the parade on September 7 to coincide with the end of the war with Japan and, consequently, the end of World War II. Preparations for the parade proceeded as usual, but on the eve of September 7, the Allied leaders said they would not be able to participate in the event and that they would be replaced by generals on the podium.
It is known that Stalin was immediately informed about it, who told Zhukov that in the West they wanted to reduce the political significance of the parade of troops of the anti-Hitler coalition countries. “They will also throw tricks like that away. Don’t pay attention, take the parade yourself,” Stalin told Zhukov. As a result, on the allied side, the parade in Berlin was attended by British Occupation Force Deputy Commander Major General Brian Robertson, Third American Army Commander General George Patton and French Occupation Force Commander in Germany and the Rhine General Marie-Pierre Koenig.