WHO reported continuing trials of Remdesivir

Share this post

The trials of Remdesivir will continue for another two months to prove the effectiveness of the drug. This was announced by Sumiya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday, July 6.

“The second phase will begin in about a couple of months. Completion of the first phase will take some time. Countries can always publish emergency recommendations. But so far (from “Remdesivir” – Ed.) there is no benefit in reducing mortality. There are no official WHO recommendations on the drug yet,” Swaminathan said.

She noted that the tests on the effectiveness of the drug will last several months before the completion of the first phase of the tests. As for the second phase, the WHO will create a committee under it, which will determine the list of drugs participating in new trials.

In particular, various immunomodulators, antithrombocytic drugs and mononuclear antibodies were under consideration.

However, a few days ago, Swaminathan said that Remdesivir was the only drug tested that showed an encouraging result.

In mid-May, President of the International Society for Antiviral Drug Research, chemist Catherine Seley-Radtke said that the effectiveness of “Remdesivir” can only be talked about when used in combination with other drugs.

In early May, Chinese scientists told about the action of “Remdesivir” on coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.