Widow of Haiti’s president makes first statement since husband’s assassination

The widow of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse Martin made the first statement after her husband’s assassination, in which she confirmed that he had been killed by mercenaries. It was reported by Haiti24 on July 10.

“Mercenaries killed the president, other mercenaries want to kill his dream and his vision for the country,” she said.

The first lady confirmed that the attack was orchestrated by mercenaries who broke into the presidential couple’s residence and shot and killed Jovenel Moise.

She said the mercenaries were meant to kill the president and his family in order to obstruct his flagship projects: roads, drinking water, the referendum and elections.

Earlier in the day, the U.S. rejected Haiti’s request for troops to provide security after the president’s assassination.

Haitian President Jovenel Moise, who had led the state since 2017, was fatally wounded in an attack on his residence on the night of July 7. Moïse’s wife was critically wounded and evacuated to a hospital in Miami.