Xiaomi smartphone exploded in the user’s pocket

Exploded in a pocket smartphone Poco (brand Xiaomi) caused serious injury to its owner. This is reported by the Indian edition Madhyamam.

The incident occurred on June 30 at about 17:00 local time. The victim, a 31-year-old resident of the town of Malappuram, said that the explosion of a smartphone was present at work. The device was in his pants pocket. At the time of the incident, the man felt a strong burning sensation and managed to quickly remove his pants and move a safe distance away from the smartphone.

The victim’s Poco C3 phone began to burn in the back panel area, where the battery was located. The owner of the device went to a private clinic for help and was hospitalized with severe burns to his right leg. In addition to the phone itself, a driver’s license and cash were burned in the pocket.

The exact cause of the device fire is not reported. Presumably, the smartphone could have caught fire due to battery overheating or problems with the battery. Xiaomi, which produces devices under the Poco brand, has not responded to the incident at the time of writing.

In early summer, Chinese media reported that a warehouse with Xiaomi smartphones burned down in Changsha province. The incident resulted in a large fire, and a large cloud of smoke and ash was observed over the scene.